Ukrainians to receive digital access to KGB archives, - Security Service
The digital capture of documents from the Soviet archives goes on, SBU Archive Director said
The SBU (Ukraine’s Security Service) reveals secret documents of the KGB, Soviet security service. Eventually, common Ukrainian citizens will gain digital access to the formerly secret files that stayed in the KGB archives for decades, said Andriy Kogut, Director of SBU Archive.
According to him, the Security Service currently performs digital capture of the documents, while the actual documents will be passed to Ukraine’s Institute of the National Memory.
“The SBU will eventually say goodbye to the Soviet legacy. The information about massive violations of human rights, repressions and crimes of the Communist regime will be opened. It is one of the key guarantees that totalitarian practices and methods will stay in the past forever”, Kogut said.
In his words, Ukraine will continue efforts to exchange documents of Communist security services with authoritative European institutions of Poland and the Czech Republic. The process of exchange will not get in the way of the normal work of the SBU archive, and it won’t interfere with the work of those concerned, said the official.
In April 2015, the Ukrainian Parliament passed the law on public access to archives of the Soviet-era security services. Since then, the number of requests for archive information in Ukraine grew by 46 percent; most of them regard searching members of the repressed families.
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain