Ukrainian admiral accused of high treason takes over Russia’s Baltic fleet
Sergei Yeliseev is the only high-rank naval officer to be promoted after total clean-up of the fleet’s command
Former admiral of Ukraine’s Navy Sergei Yeliseev took charge of Russia’s Baltic fleet, Ukrainian outlet Fontanka wrote.
Previously, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu fired Vice Admiral, Head of the Staff and 50 more high-ranked officers of the Baltic fleet. It’s been the severest clean-up in the entire history of the Russian Navy, the outlet reports.
Before siding with Russia, Yeliseev served as Deputy Supreme Commander of the Ukrainian Navy. When Russia invaded and annexed Crimea, he defected and eventually moved to Russia in July 2014, having changed his deployment. It’s been the first time when a former Ukrainian officer takes up the supreme post in Russia’s Armed Forces.
In Ukraine, Sergei Yeliseev is charged with defection, high treason, infringement on Ukraine’s territorial integrity, collaboration with a terrorist organization and waging aggressive war. On June 29, Prosecutor General’s Office finished the preliminary investigation and sent the court an indictment in Yeliseev’s case.
Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov 20 October, 20:01
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels