Ukraine’s Security Service arrests French citizen, prevents terrorist acts during Euro 2016
The Frenchman tried to leave Ukraine while carrying guns and explosives
The SBU, Ukraine’s Security Service, managed to prevent the series of 15 terrorist acts that were supposed to take place during Euro 2016 in France. Head of the SBU Vasyl Hrytsak said this at a briefing in Kyiv on Monday.
The official shared some details of the counter-terrorist operation. “In December 2015, we found out that a citizen of France came to Ukraine. Posing himself as a volunteer, he set contacts with members of several military units that are now participating in the military conflict in Donbas. He offered them volunteer assistance, but as time passed by he started showing interest in buying guns and explosives in Ukraine”, Hrytsak said.
The Frenchman was detained by the SBU at a checkpoint at Ukrainian-Polish border and put in detention facility. The SBU found out that he planned many terrorist acts back home during the all-Europe football championship. Besides, he offered a Ukrainian citizen several thousand Euros so that he'd deliver the dangerous cargo to France; according to Vasyl Hrytsak, that might point at the involvement of Russian special services in the incident- so as to discredit Ukraine on the eve of Euro 2016.
The French is charged with illegal arms trafficking, preparation of terrorist act and illegal gun handling.
Ukraine defeats Kosovo 3-0 10 October, 10:38
UEFA Champions League: Besiktas faces Dynamo Kyiv tonight 28 September, 10:29
Football: We’re able to surprise Ukraine, - Kosovo coach 5 October, 14:53
UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0 20 October, 22:42
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas