Ukraine’s Ambassador in the UN to strive for bringing peacekeepers to Donbas
Russia and several other UN Security Council members oppose the idea
Ukraine’s Permanent Representative in the UN Volodymyr Yelchenko said Kyiv wants a UN peacekeeping mission to be deployed in Donbas. “The initiative is currently being blocked by Russia. But we will seek approaches so as to solve this matter effectively”, the diplomat said, as quoted by zn.ua.
He admitted, however, that the UN haven’t even started negotiations on the issue yet. “Even if we get the UN Security Council’s consent to consider this topic, there’d be still a lot to be done. The UN experience shows that it takes months from the start of the negotiations till the actual implementation of the peacekeeping mission. To start with, we need to launch a negotiation process on this issue in the frameworks of the UN”, Yelchenko noted.
He added there are other UN Security Council members who oppose the idea of the UN peacekeeping mission in Donbas. “I won’t let out the names of particular countries. Let’s just say these are the UN Security Council members, including those who are the largest sponsors in the organization. They insist that sending the peacekeeping mission to Ukraine would cost UN too much. Besides, there is a lack of confidence that the UN mission in Ukraine would operate more effectively than the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission, which is currently working in Donbas”, said Volodymyr Yelchenko.
December 9, President Petro Poroshenko assigned Volodymyr Yelchenko Ukraine’s Permanent Representative in the UN. Thus, Ukraine’s former Ambassador to Russia, Yelchenko replaced Yuriy Sergeev who was in office in 2007-2015.
The issue of sending a UN peacekeeping mission to Ukraine has been debated since February 2015, when Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council made the respective decision. However, no solid steps in this direction have been taken so far.
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland 23 October, 10:33
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Steinmeier: EU might fall
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:15Bezsmertny: Real ‘disengagement line’ and one defined in Minsk agreements are different
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
- SPORT08:00Usyk gets WBO Fighter of the Year award
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars