Ukraine wants UN Security Council representatives to visit Donbas, - Yelchenko
The goal of the visit is to persuade the Council to send UN peacekeepers to Donbas
Ukraine initiates a visit of UN Security Council permanent representatives to Donbas. The goal of the visit is to persuade the Council to deploy a UN peacekeeping mission in Donbas.
Volodymyr Yelchenko, Ukraine’s Permanent Representative in the UN, said this January 7 in an interview with Channel 5.
“The idea came up most recently: we could organize a visit of a group of UN Security Council permanent representatives, and they could see for themselves that the UN peacekeeping operation in Ukraine is really necessary, not only for this country, but also for the entire international society”, he said.
Previously, Yelchenko said he raised the question of deployment of the UN peacekeeping operation in Donbas at his recent meeting with the organization’s Secretary General Ban Ki-moon. Besides, he discusses the issue with representatives of the UK and France; in his words, the meetings “will continue this week”.
“The idea still hasn’t been discussed officially. We’ve been trying to understand why this initiative is perceived without any enthusiasm. Of course, one can surely expect Russian veto on the respective decision by the Council”, Yelchenko said.
He reiterated that for the negotiations on the issue, it is necessary that the UN Secretariat send an assessment mission to Ukraine; the mission would “assess the number of staff, communication-related issues, opportunities for quartering and many other questions”. “No such decision has been made yet”, the Ukrainian diplomat said.
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas 21 October, 20:31
Donbas conflict: 18 attacks reported 17 October, 23:58
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
- RUSSIA11:01Justice Minister: ‘Kremlin will recognize Sentsov, Kolchenko’s Ukrainian citizenship’
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:17Donbas: ‘Grad’ missile launchers shell Troitske, Luhansk region
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars