Ukraine to sue Russia for violating UN Law of the Sea Convention
Presidential press secretary Svyatoslav Tseholko tweeted this on September 14
Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko charged the Foreign Ministry to initiate the arbitration procedure against Russia for the breach of the UN Law of the Sea Convention. Poroshenko’s press secretary Svyatoslav Tseholko tweeted this on Wednesday.
The President noted that the lawsuit is based on several grounds, such as rude violation of the international law, aggression against Ukraine, the annexation of Crimea, as well as breach of Ukraine’s right to use the natural resources of the Black and Azov Seas.
The Head of the State added that Russia actually robs Ukraine of its energy resources, producing gas and oil at Ukraine’s sea shelf. That results in theft of the country’s maritime resources and pollution of the Black Sea. ‘Ukraine’s legal position remains solid and is based on clear evidence, and Ukraine will prove the facts of theft of natural resources and damage to the environment in the specified area by the Russian Federation.
Previously, Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin reported that Ukraine would file the lawsuit against Russia for violation of the UN Law of the Sea Convention.
Bezsmertny: Sushchenko’s arrest in Russia not coincidental 5 October, 09:15
Ukrainians support Sushchenko near Russian Embassy in Kyiv 6 October, 15:40
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars