Ukraine to sue Russia for illegal annexation of Crimea
President Poroshenko says the action will take place in two weeks
Ukraine will file a case to international courts against Russia – due to the fact of its annexation of Crimea. President Petro Poroshenko said that in his interview to Ukrainian TV channels.
“In the next two weeks, Ukraine will be protecting its state interests in courts, under many international conventions” said the Head of the state.
According to him, the issue of Crimea’s illegal annexation should remain among priority topics for Ukraine’s partners who will discuss the matter.
“The EU and the USA, as well as guarantors of the Budapest memorandum should participate in the discussion. We can dub this format “Geneva Plus” and start consultations to organize the process.
In the near future, PACE delegation will visit the occupied peninsula. “For the last several days, we made several important breakthroughs. We expect PACE mission to inspect human rights protection in Crimea, including the rights of Crimean Tatar nation", the President said.
According to Poroshenko, illegally arrested citiens should be released, and rights of Crimean Tatars people should be observed. The “road map” of Crimea’s de-occupation includes a lot of steps – starting with international pressure on Russia, action program on sanctions’ implementation, and finishing with leagal arguments.
Previosuly, Poroshenko signed a decree on creation of the Service of de-occupation of Crimea. In turn, Dmitry Peskov, Press Secretary of Russian President Putin, said that the issue of Crimea’s ownership doesn’t exits and is beyond any discussions.
Crimea was annexed by Russia in March 2014 on the ground of results of the so-called referendum, conducted after the capture of Crimea’s state institutions by Russian troops.
Negotiations in Normandy format resumed 20 October, 00:47
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars