Ukraine directs inquiry to Russia to extradite Karpyuk
Chechnya Supreme Court sentenced Karpyuk to 22.5 years in colony
Ukraine shall send the request to extradite Mykolay Karpyuk to Russia. Deputy Justice Minister Serhiy Petukhov posted this on Facebook.
“We are sending the extradition request to Russia to free Mykolay Karpyuk. His brother Valentyn Karpyuk addressed such a request”, Deputy minister wrote.
The leader of the Ukrainian National Assembly (UNA) Mykolay Karpyuk was detained in Russia in March 2014.
Chechnya Supreme Court issued a guilty verdict on May 26, which found Karpyuk guilty of participating in the fighting on the side of Chechen separatists in 1990s. Karpyuk was sentenced to 22.5 years in prison.
Recently, Mykolay Karpyuk’s lawyers appealed against the verdict of the Chechen Court.
As 112.International reported before the Russian jury said they both allegedly joined the Viking unit, which fought on the side of Chechen nationalists as they sought independence from Russia in the 1990s. The jury accused Karpyuk and Klykh of killing and wounding dozens of Russian servicemen. Mykola Karpyuk, leader of the Ukrainian National Assembly, was detained in March 2014. Stanislav Klykh was detained in Russia in September 2014, when he came to Russia to visit his pregnant girlfriend.
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe 25 October, 08:16
Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 25 October, 09:43
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas