Two years ago, clashes began at Hrushevsky Street in Kyiv
January 19 marked the rise of violence in the standoff between Euromaidan activists and the riot police
It's been two years since clashes between Euromaidan protesters and Berkut riot police started at Hrushevsky street in the downtown Kyiv.
On January 19, 2014, a Sunday mass protest, took place gathering up to 200,000 in central Kyiv to protest against the new anti-protest laws, dubbed the Dictatorship laws. Many protesters ignored the face concealment ban by wearing party masks, hard hats and gas masks. Riot police and government supporters cornered a group of people who were trying to seize government buildings.
The number of riot police on Hrushevskoho Street increased after buses and army trucks showed up. The latter resulted in the buses being burned as a barricade. The next day, a clean-up began in Kyiv. On 22 January, more violence erupted in the city.
During the January 2014 riots at Hrushevsky street, four protesters perished.
Watch the video:
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
IMF mission to arrive in Ukraine on October 26 17 October, 19:03
Kyiv not to congratulate Putin on his birthday, - Peskov 7 October, 20:15
In Kyiv March of heroes' glory is over 14 October, 18:33
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars