Two million Aleppo residents cut off from water supply systems, - UNICEF
Dozens of air strikes landed on the city on Friday damaged at least one water pump station
UNICEF is concerned about possible outbreak of dangerous infectious diseases in Syria’s Aleppo, as more than two million of its residents are cut off from fresh water supplies. This is due to the intense military actions that are underway in the city.
According to BBC’s Russian service, at least one water pump station is damaged by air strikes that were deployed on the city on Friday. Another water pump station is shut down; it supplied the water to eastern districts of the city which is now held by the anti-government rebels.
UNICEF worries about people who could start using polluted water from wells and other insecure sources.
Over the past 24 hours, the rebel-held districts of Aleppo went under more airstrikes, which started several hours after the Syrian government forces declared an offensive. The airstrikes were conducted by Syrian and Russian aircraft.
Previously, the White House said Russia should carry the responsibility for the escalation of the conflict in Syria. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry urged the conflicting sides to suspend the military actions in Aleppo.
Source: BBC Russian service
Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks 21 October, 17:29
Shoigu: Russia and Syria suspended air attacks on Aleppo 18 October, 13:24
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
EU Council not to impose sanctions against Russia because of Syria 17 October, 20:36
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:37Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas
- SOCIETY15:47112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain