Twitter massively bans pro-Ukrainian accounts
Accounts’ owners say it is part of Russia’s information war against Ukraine
Twitter, the widely known social network, massively blocks pro-Ukrainian accounts, users said. More than 200 Twitter pages led by Ukrainian users were banned, among them Novyny Ukrainy, the account with more than 500 thousand followers.
According to Ukrainian users, the pages were blocked due to massive complaints of Russian bots on verbal abuses of Russian leader Vladimir Putin.
Ukrainian users note this is the way to deliberately destroy the Ukrainian segment of Twitter, and the very action has been planned and well-prepared. According to one of the banned users, this is how it usually works: “Several thousand virtual accounts are registered, the so-called “egg accounts”, or simply the “eggs”. Then, lists of the most famous and followed Ukrainian bloggers are prepared.After that, Twitter search helps the computer trespassers find key words in tweets of potential “victims”. The eggs attack the chosen accounts, virtually dashing off thousands of complaints – automatically, without any participation of living people. Having received huge number of complaints, the social network blocks the accounts.
Besides, Twitter toughened security policy and now it can ban any account for any smallest breach. The country’s ambassador to Finland Andriy Olefirov contacted the network’s technical support due to massive blocking of Ukrainian and pro-Ukrainian Twitter communities. The official also urged the users to make screenshots to prove that the bans are imposed deliberately.
Ukrainian users already created hashtags #saveUAtwi and #JeSuisUkrTwi to be spread in tweets.
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists 21 October, 16:40
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars