Euromaidan crackdown commemoration: torchlight procession took place in Kyiv
Protesters demanded to sack Prosecutor General
In small hours of Monday, November 30, activists in Kyiv commemorated the beginning of the standoff between Euromaidan protesters and the-then government. It took place two years ago when Berkut riot police dispersed the student demonstration in the downtown Kyiv, posted via Facebook Serhiy Melnychenko, leader of KUPR (Coalition of Participants of the Orange Revolution).
Participants in the torchlight procession demanded the dismissal of Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin. The activists expressed concern that after two years in office, leaders of law enforcement agencies never punished those responsible for the dispersion of the student demonstration. They promised “to keep the investigation on the case under control and do not forget those who attacked and tortured students”, said the message.
“Recently, participants in the torchlight procession retreated from the closed doors of the Prosecutor General’s Office. They voiced out certain slogans, implying that concealing crimes and criminals is a crime, too”, the message stated.
Protesters with torches and fuses spread a banner that depicted Shokin mirrored by his predecessor Viktor Pshonka, charged with crimes against Euromaidan activists.
“Despite no one from the Office came out to meet the activists, they left their message to Shokin on the banner that they left by the main entrance”, Melnychenko posted.
Activists demanded that before December 1, Shokin and Interior Minister Avakov provide the official report on the real reasons of the brutal dispersion of the November 30 demonstration.
Previously, the Prosecutor General’s Office, Interior Ministry, and the Security Service came up with 3 reports on the investigation results in the case.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas