To vote or not to vote: elections to 122 Donbas local councils cancelled
Citizens of Mariupol, Donetsk region, will have an opportunity to vote
Press center of Central Electoral Board (CEB) states that elections to 91 local councils in Donetsk region and to 31 local councils in Luhansk region are not to be held. Among the enlisted settlments and districts are Svitlodarsk, Luhanske, Opytne, Volnovakha, Novotroitske, Hranitne, Starohnativka, Chemarlyk, Shyrokyne, Mariinka, Krasnohorivka, Yasynuvata, Pisky, Avdiivka, Shchastia, Krymske, Triohizbenka, Zolote, Stanytsia Luhanska, and others, which are permanently (or frequently) targeted by the Russian-backed militants. In occupied Crimea local elections will not be held too, states CEB.
A questionmark have been hanging over holding elections in Mariupol, Donetsk region, due to possible disruption of elections. According to the last information from CEB, the local elections in Mariupol will take place October 25.
Previously, the head of Donetsk regional administration Pavlo Zhebrivskyi, stated that there are at least two reasons not to hold the elections to some local councils of the region. People in Donbas are confused with the situation of the last year. Moreover, the competitiveness of political ideas of the political parties and their candidates is rather conventional. Some financial groups try to hold their candidates to get the monopoly in the region, as states Zhebrivskyi. He also expressed his concerns about intensification of ceasefire violation in the Donetsk region.
Local elections in Ukraine are scheduled for October 25, 2015.
Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas 24 October, 16:37
OSCE cannot confirm ‘Motorola’s death 17 October, 17:49
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case