Theresa May: Great Britain to give up its presidency of the European Council in 2017
Negotiations on leaving the European Union to be prioritized instead
Great Britain shall give up of its presidency in the European Council, which was to start in July 2017. This was announced by the press secretary of the country’s PM Theresa May on Wednesday after her talk with Donald Tusk, the President of the European Council, according to Reuters.
"The Prime Minister suggested that the UK should give up it’s presidency of the European Council next year, noting that the negotiations on leaving the EU will be prioritized,” – press-secretary said.
May said that they need to prepare carefully for the exit negotiations before they start the procedure of article 50. In his turn Donald Tusk assured that he will help to make this process as simple as possible.
The presidency rotates between the 28 EU member states on a six-monthly basis, giving each the opportunity to shape the agenda. Slovakia is presiding in the EU Council since July of 2016, the next to preside is Malta from the beginning of 2017.
As we reported earlier, Great Britain hold a national referendum on June 23 regarding leaving the EU. 51.0% voted for the Brexit.
EU Council: EU-Ukraine Summit to take place November 24 10 October, 12:03
May: UK decision to leave EU remains unchanged 15 October, 09:30
Tusk: EU Council startled by success of Ukraine’s economy 29 September, 11:45
- UA & EU20:04Schulz: European Parliament is on Ukraine’s side
- SOCIETY19:14Halloween is coming in Ukraine
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:1835000 militants and 6000 Russia's officers in Donbas reported
- UA & EU16:31Poroshenko, Junker to discuss EU-Ukraine AA ratification by the Netherlands
- UA & EU15:46Netherlands may delay consultations on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:30Ukrainian Defense Ministry reveals details of Makiivka night attack
- FINANCE14:13French company to store gas in Ukraine’s underground storages
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case