The Telegraph: Jailed Ukraine pilot Nadia Savchenko heads home after prisoner swap with Russia
Nadia Savchenko, the Ukrainian helicopter pilot controversially jailed in Russia, has been released in a prisoner exchange that may bring fresh diplomatic impetus to ending the war in east Ukraine.
Miss Savchenko, 35, was exchanged for Alexander Alexandrov and Yevgeny Yerofeev, two members of the Russian special forces, in a hurried swap on the tarmac of Rostov on Don airport, in southern Russia, on Tuesday afternoon.
The helicopter pilot and army officer was on board a plane back to Ukraine by early afternoon, a source close to the exchange said.
The exchange follows a two-year diplomatic impasse during which Petro Poroshenko, the Ukrainian president, accused Vladimir Putin of using Miss Savchenko as a hostage to exert pressure on Kiev over the war in east Ukraine.
Read more here.
Tuka doubts that Savchenko visited occupied territories of Donbas 14 October, 21:47
Cabinet of Ministers to offer Parliament to change Savchenko’s Law 20 September, 16:23
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- RUSSIA16:30Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia
- UA & EU15:42Poroshenko, Hungary PM are to enhance political dialogue between states
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels