The return of NATO: deterring Russian aggression in Europe
NATO increases presence and assurance measures - secretary-general Stoltenberg
The secretary-general of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Jens Stoltenberg in his latest interview with WSJ spoke on deterring Russia in terms of European security issues.
"For 40 years NATO’s main and almost only task was to provide deterrence in Europe... Now we are on our way back," stated NATO secretary-general.
Mr. Stoltenberg stressed that Russia has to respect the international standards, particularly, when it comes to the national boarders. "Of course cooperation between countries requires that some fundamental principles are respected, - he claimed. - That is what made Ukraine and the annexation of Crimea so serious".
He noted that the policy of NATO is transparent and predictable, while Russia is undermining the whole idea of the agreements.
Therefore, the issue of the increasing collective defense of the European countries is a topical one. Collective defence is very much based on increasing the readiness of the forces and ability to reinforce if needed. "The whole idea is the combination of increased presence with assurance measures—more planes, more ships, more exercises, more troops on the ground on rotational basis, doubling the size of the NATO response force, establishing the spearhead force—all this together makes sure we have credible deterrence," said NATO secretary-general. In order to repulse any attacks Europe needs much heavier troops, different kinds of capabilities for higher-end, heavier operations than crisis management in Afghanistan.
NATO Secretary General: Those responsible for MH17 tragedy should be punished 29 September, 08:44
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
Sweden: Russia aggravates situation in the region 11 October, 12:38
Russia bombers fly near Iceland passenger airliner 27 September, 09:47
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain