The Guardian: Hakan Şükür suspected of terrorism, involvement in attempt of military coup
Turkish law enforcers accuse the footballer of membership in FETO, the organization that supports Gulen
Hakan Şükür, the outstanding football striker, who performed for Galatasaray and the national team, is now among the suspects in organizing the failed military coup in Turkey. According to The Guardian, the prosecutor’s office of Sakarya province issued the arrest warrant for him.
'Sukur is accused by prosecutors of “being a member of an armed terror group”, a reference to the organisation of the US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen whom Ankara claims was behind the coup, according to the state-run Anadolu news agency. Sukur and his family are understood to have left Turkey for the United States last year. Sukur was accused of insulting Erdogan in Twitter earlier this year, risking a four-year jail sentence. Sukur said that he did not intend to target the president however, although prosecutors said that the tweets were “clearly related” to the Turkish president', reads the article.
Read the full story here.
UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0 20 October, 22:42
Football: We’re able to surprise Ukraine, - Kosovo coach 5 October, 14:53
Ukraine defeats Kosovo 3-0 10 October, 10:38
UEFA Champions League: Dynamo Kyiv hosts Benfica tonight 19 October, 10:01
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Steinmeier: EU might fall
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:15Bezsmertny: Real ‘disengagement line’ and one defined in Minsk agreements are different
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
- SPORT08:00Usyk gets WBO Fighter of the Year award
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars