Sushchenko case: Ukrainian reporter arrested for two months
The Ukrainian’s lawyer Mark Feygin will file an appeal on the court’s decision
Lefortovsky court in Moscow arrested Ukrainian reporter Roman Sushchenko for two months – under charges of ‘espionage’. Ekaterina Krasnova, the court’s press secretary, said this on Monday.
Mark Feygin, the famous Russian lawyer and human rights activist, told the outlet he is about to file an appeal on the court’s decision.
Earlier, Ukrinform agency, the outlet that the reporter works for, signed contract with Sushchenko’s wife. The paper states that Mark Feygin (widely known for protecting interests of several Ukrainians in Russia, including former political prisoner Nadiya Savchenko) would protect Roman Sushchenko in court.
The Russian authorities, specifically the Foreign Ministry and the FSB, the federal security service, claim that Sushchenko is agent of Ukraine's reconnaissance who was busted in Russia and detained as a 'spy'.
Ukraine's Chief Department of Intelligence of the Defense Ministry denies this information.
Ukrainian journalist Roman Sushchenko, who works for Ukrinform news agency, was found in pre-trial detention facility of Lefortovo prison (Moscow). Open Russia, the group of Russian human rights activists, reported this at their official website on Sunday night.
According to Sushchenko, the law enforcers put psychological pressure on him; they didn’t let him call home and tell the wife he was arrested. The FSB, Russian federal security service, provided Sushchenko with a lawyer.
Sushchenko asked the human rights watchers to contact with Ukrainian consul in Moscow. The diplomat already confirmed officially that the reporter was arrested in Russia.
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences 26 October, 17:15
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case