Chechen court sentences Ukrainian activists to more than 22 years in prison
Both men are accused of fighting alongside Chechen nationalists against Russian soldiers in 1990s
According to journalist of Radio Liberty Anton Naumlyuk, the court sentenced both Ukrainian citizens who had been charged with fighting against Russian federal army during the First Chechen War in 1994-1995.
As 112 International reported, Mykola Karpyuk, leader of the Ukrainian National Assembly, was detained in March 2014. Stanislav Klykh was detained in Russia in September 2014, when he came to Russia to visit his pregnant girlfriend.
The Russian jury said they both allegedly joined the Viking unit, which fought on the side of Chechen nationalists as they sought independence from Russia in the 1990s. The jury accused Karpyuk and Klykh of killing and wounding dozens of Russian servicemen. Mykola Karpyuk, leader of the Ukrainian National Assembly, was detained in March 2014. Stanislav Klykh was detained in Russia in September 2014, when he came to Russia to visit his pregnant girlfriend.
Bezsmertny: Sushchenko’s arrest in Russia not coincidental 5 October, 09:15
Ukrainians support Sushchenko near Russian Embassy in Kyiv 6 October, 15:40
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
- POLITICS16:26Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case