Stoltenberg’s press conference in Brussels: top 5 quotes
The NATO leader touched some of the most essential issues for the Alliance’s policy
Collective Defense and Security
Over the next two days, NATO defense ministers will make decisions to address the changed security environment we are facing. I expect ministers to agree to enhance our forward presence in the eastern part of our alliance. This will bolster our collective defense, and at the same time send a powerful signal to deter any aggression or intimidation.
All NATO allies are part of the counter-ISIL coalition, and I expect NATO to provide them with support. We are actively considering the U.S. request for NATO AWACS surveillance planes to backfill national capabilities.
Dialogue with Russia and resolution of Kremlin-involved conflicts
As long as we are firm, predictable and strong, we can also engage with Russia in political dialogue. We don’t seek confrontation with Russia. We do not seek a new Cold War.
The intense Russian airstrikes, mainly against opposition forces, are undermining these efforts (to end the suffering in Syria, reach a ceasefire and start a political transition). The increased Russian air activity in Syria is also leading to violations of NATO airspace. Overall, the substantial Russian military build-up in Syria and the eastern Mediterranean is shifting the strategic balance and raising tensions in the region. So calm, de-escalation and political solutions are more urgent than ever.
Refugee crisis in Turkey and the EU
I think we will take very seriously the request from Turkey and other allies to look into what NATO can do to help them cope and deal with the crisis and all the challenges they face, not least in Turkey. We welcome all discussions on potential measures which could contribute to addressing the refugee crisis, save lives at sea and improve the management of migratory flows and borders.
Sweden: Russia aggravates situation in the region 11 October, 12:38
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
NATO Secretary General: Those responsible for MH17 tragedy should be punished 29 September, 08:44
Russia bombers fly near Iceland passenger airliner 27 September, 09:47
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
- POLITICS11:15Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russian law enforcers search apartment of 112 Ukraine TV channel's reporter in Moscow
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Poltorak: Minsk agreements put Debaltseve as Ukrainian territory
- POLITICS10:12Cabinet allocates USD 4.8 mln for development of military technologies
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels