Stephen King and more than 600 US writers protest against Trump
A petition has been already signed by nearly 6,500 people.
Famous US writers rallied and issued a petition against the candidate for presidency from the Republican Party, Donald Trump. Among those who signed the petition there are 10 winners with the Pulitzer Prize, the four winners of the National Book Award, and many other well-known writers. Their open letter has been published in the Literary Hub literary website.
In particular, the "King of Horror", Stephen King and more than 600 American writers pointed out that Trump "deliberately appeals to the basest and most brutal elements of society, excites aggression in their supporters". Mark Slauka, Andrew Altschul and other organizers will have to collect 10 000 signatures. Now the petition was signed by over 6600 people.
The authors of the letter say they oppose Trump’s candidacy.
"As writers we know numerous ways of possible manipulation with the language in the name of power, and we believe that any democracy is worthy of this name, as it is based on pluralism, welcomes the fundamental disagreement and reaches a consensus through reasoned argumentation," – reads the letter.
Final Trump-Clinton debates - best quotes 20 October, 12:17
Trump, Clinton shake hands after TV debates 10 October, 07:50
‘Fight Night’ between Trump and Clinton to kick off in the U.S. 19 October, 09:14
Obama urges Republicans to abandon Trump 12 October, 10:34
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
- UA & EU08:39Klimkin visits Netherlands to promote EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas