Steinmeier concedes Russia's return to G8
For their resumption, Russia should demonstrate progress in resolving situation in Donbas and Syria, according to the German minister
Russian resumption of the G8 is possible if there is a progress in the negotiations concerning the occupied part of the Donbas and Syria. Such an opinion was expressed by the German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, according to RND.
"The conflicts in Syria and Ukraine show that we do have incentives not to exclude Russia from the close cooperation of world leading industrialized countries. When there is a substantial progress in the negotiations concerning the situation in eastern Ukraine and the cease-fire in Syria, the G7 partners will be absolutely ready to talk with Russia, "- he stressed.
The German minister also added that the ongoing negotiations with Russia are carried out very tightly.
The US leaders of Britain, France, Germany, Japan, Italy and Canada, together with the EU leadership met at the summit without Russia in March 2014 first time since due to annexation of the Crimea.
In April 2015, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, on behalf of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the G7 expressed the hope that G7 may again turn into G8 if Moscow contributes to establishment of peace in Ukraine.
In May 2015, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said that a return to G8-format is not possible as long as Russia is violating international law.
As we reported earlier, on December 21, the European Union Council adopted an official decision to extend sanctions against the Russian Federation for another six months. Russian Foreign Ministry called the connection of the EU sanctions' with the settlement of the conflict in Donbas "has no basis behind it."
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case