Spiegel: The West should take Putin’s paranoia seriously, - Gribauskaite
Russian leader treats ex-USSR territories as those under the Kremlin’s protectorate, Lithuanian president says
‘Putin’s idea is to return all former USSR member countries under Russia’s influence. He wants to restore the old Russia. That’s paranoia, and we should take it seriously,’ Dalia Gribauskaite said in an interview with Speigel.
She added that Russia resorts to military force, propaganda and economic pressure wherever there is a gap in the European security system. This is why, she said, Lithuania doesn’t rule out Russian aggression in the Baltic States after the Kremlin annexed Crimea in spring 2014.
On the other hand, Gribauskaite stressed that it is not about being afraid of the Russian invasion. ‘I don’t like the word ‘fear’. We lived under the Soviet occupation; we know what this neighbor is capable of, and it is capable of attacking’, she said, remembering that Lithuania had a big army on the eve of the WWII, but it didn’t fight the Soviets. ‘That will never happen again’, the Lithuanian president claimed.
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks 21 October, 17:29
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas