Shuster’s case: Reaction of Ukraine’s political leaders
President and Prime Minister commented on the issue with the reporter’s work permit
President Petro Poroshenko
“Freedom of speech is one of Ukraine’s largest achievements since the victory of the Revolution of Dignity. As the guarantor of Constitution, I defended and I will keep on defending freedom of speech in any of its manifestations. So I hope the respective services will solve the issues with reporter Savik Shuster as soon as possible”, he wrote.
Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman
“No one has the right to limit freedom of speech in Ukraine. Officials should be more persistent about other things. I charged the respective agencies to sort it out and solve the issue, according to the current legal frameworks”.
Earlier today, Ukraine-based journalist Savik Shuster visited Ministry of Social Policy and wrote an appeal asking to cancel the wrongful decision against him. As 112 International reported, an unknown authoritative agency canceled Shuster’s work permit on April 25. The reason was that the journalist concealed the fact of investigation against him – allegedly for evading taxes. Shuster said the government or even President Poroshenko himself could be behind this.
Savik Shuster has been working in Ukraine since 2005. He has been a host of his own talk shows “Svoboda Slova” (“Freedom of Speech”), “Svoboda Savika Shustera” (“Freedom of Savik Shuster”) and “Shuster LIVE” on a number of Ukrainian TV channels.
Donbas: Avdiivka under mortar fire 13 October, 23:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas