Scientists announced the reason of the earthquake near Mariupol
Due to a large focus depth, the earthquake could be felt on a large territory
The cause of the earthquake near Mariupol is processes associated with the movement of tectonic plates. This was announced by the press-service of the city administration with the reference to the Institute of Geophysics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine named after S.I. Subbotin.
"The coordinates of the earthquake source, according to Ukrainian seismic stations and the nearest seismic stations of the Global Seismic Network, are estimated as the latitude 47,35 ° N, longitude 37,52 ° E, 10 km. Its epicenter was located on the northern edge of powerful seismically active zone of the planet resulting from collisions of large continental plates: the Eurasian, African, Arab and Indian.
Due to the large depth of focus, the earthquake was felt on a vast territory. The epicenter of the earthquake was had 6 points on Medvedev–Sponheuer–Karnik scale (MSK-64). It was felt by people in Mariupol, Berdyansk, Zaporizhia, Dniepr, Donetsk, Rostov-on-Don and many other towns," - the statement reads.
Recall, near Mariupol August 7, an earthquake with a magnitude of 4.6-4.9 according to various seismic stations. No casualties reported.
The last recorded earthquake near Mariupol occurred in the Sea of Azov on January 4, 2014. Prior to that, earthquakes in the Azov Sea were recorded in 1978 and 1990.
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine 23 October, 18:06
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars