School classes about occupation of Crimea to begin February 26
Ukrainian pupils to learn about annexation of the peninsula and acts of local resistance
Ukrainian schools will hold lessons dedicated to illegal occupation of Crimea by Russia. This entirely new practice will start on February 26, said Emine Jeppar, Counselor of Information Policy Minister (Radio Liberty).
“The goal is to tell the schoolchildren about civil resistance of Crimea and to bust the myth about locals who allegedly supported the Russian invasion and annexation of the peninsula en masse”, Jeppar said.
The Ukrainian parliament recognized February 20, 2014 as the official beginning of Russia’s occupation of Crimea. As is known, Russia organized the so-called referendum in Crimea in March 2014. According to its results, almost 97 percent of voters supported Crimea’s “reintegration” with Russia. Though the poll was considered illegal and was not recognized by the international community, the Russian Parliament ratified the respective agreement. The Ukrainian Parliament ruled that on February 20, 2014, Russia officially started occupation of the peninsula.
Leading Western countries imposed sanctions on Russia for its illegal annexation of Ukrainian Crimea. The Kremlin denies the fact of occupation, saying it was "a step to restore historical justice".
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
Panov and Zahtey in Lefortovo 14 October, 12:49
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case