Scaparrotti substitutes Breedlove as NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe
The ceremony took place at NATO HQ in Stuttgart
U.S. Army General Curtis Scaparrotti became the new NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe, taking over Phillip Breedlove. U.S. Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter took part in the ceremony in Stuttgart, officially delegating authority to Scaparrotti.
“Honored to pass the command to my friend and colleague, Gen. Scaparotti”, Breedlove tweeted.
“Congrats and welcome aboard to U.S. Army General Curtis Scaparrotti, the new EUCOM commander”, U.S. European Command added.
His predecessor Phillip Breedlove has been in office since May 2013.
Previously, Scaparrotti, the-then candidate for the post of NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe, supported the idea to send Ukraine lethal weapons to fight pro-Kremlin militants in Donbas. According to him, it would be expedient to provide Ukraine’s Armed Forces with Javelins, U.S.-made anti-tank missile launchers.
Steinmeier: EU might fall 24 October, 10:58
Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko 23 October, 21:13
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case