Scandal with Leshchenko showed weakness of law on declarations - Leonid Antonenko
"Scandal with Leshchenko showed weakness of law on declaration and set a dangerous precedent," - Antonenko
The law on the declaration appeared to be much weaker than I thought it was. This was announced by Leonid Antonenko, deputy of Kyiv City Council of the VIII convocation from Samopomich Party, the head of the permanent committee on city council property, in his comment to the recent scandal with Leshchenko's apartment on his Facebook page.
"As explained by Dmytro Kotlyar, the author of the law, it is possible to explain the origin of expensive purchases, referring to the loans received in cash from a friend. Sergei Leshchenko did take an advantage of this opportunity. If we estimate his specific circumstances, perhaps many will find nothing to his detriment. But if we look into the future and try to guess how many judges and prosecutors may explain their disproportionate purchases with loans from their dear friends, we realize that e-declaration is nothing more than just a way to punish persona non grata or those slow-witted," - writes Leonid Antonenko.
He also mentions that Serhiy Leshchenko has recently exposed his colleague deputy Kotvitsky from Narodny Front Party, who hadn't declared 40 million dollars.
"Today Serhiy became a hero of a similar scandal. The amount, of course, is much smaller, but the main point remains the same."
Antonenko considers "borrowing money from friends" to be a bad excuse. "Civil servants, from petty clerk to MPs can not do purchases that an average Ukrainian can do using borrowed funds. Herein the convenience of their status lies exactly in it. This very inconvenience is to keep the people, discomforted by public interference with their personal finance, away from civil service."
Leonid Antonenko believes that public officers, especially if they are the voice of the anti-corruption policy (as Leshchenko was until now) may perform purchases only at the expense of their sources of income, stated in their declarations.
As we reported earlier, recently social media burst, discussing Serhiy Leshchenko's purchase of a elite apartment in the center of Ukrainian capital worth of two annual salaries of the MP.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:37Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas
- SOCIETY15:47112 Ukraine TV Channel mined
- POLITICS14:47Ukraine summons Syrian diplomat to protest against recognition of Crimea’s occupation
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:01No fatalities among Ukrainian servicemen in Donbas over last 24 hours
- SPORT12:30Klitschko: I hope to get my champion titles back this year
- FINANCE11:41Ukrzaliznytsia company evades taxes at sum of USD 50 million
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Steinmeier: EU might fall
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:15Bezsmertny: Real ‘disengagement line’ and one defined in Minsk agreements are different
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars