Savchenko’s defense team asks world leaders to push Russia to release her
The sentence in the Ukrainian pilot’s case took effect on Tuesday
According to Nadiya Savchenko’s lawyer Nikolai Polozov, due to the fact that the sentence came into force, the defense team urges leading politicians across the globe activate efforts during negotiations with Russia, regarding the release or exchange of the detained Ukrainian. Polozov posted this at Facebook.
“Previously, President Putin repeatedly claimed that the decision of Savchenko’s fate will be made after the sentence comes into force. Well, that’s it, we reached this point. The sentence is pronounced and took effect; there will be no more judicial decisions in Savchenko’s case. It’s time to make political decisions”, he wrote.
According to Polozov, since April 5, authoritative bodies of Russia’s Federal Service for Execution of Punishment have the right to convoy Nadiya Savchenko to a correctional facility where she is to serve her time. “I hope that the Service for Execution of Punishment will not make the situation tense and will not convoy her immediately”, he wrote.
Earlier, lawyers Mark Feygin and Nikolai Polozov failed to persuade Savchenko to file an appeal on the decision of Donetsk city court, which sentenced her to 22 years of imprisonment in standard penal regime colony in Russia. The pilot refused to file the appeal, saying there is no such thing as justice or fair trial in Russia.
As the sentence took effect, Savchenko goes on waterless hunger strike – another one in the row of hunger strikes that, along with long-lasting detention, seriously harmed her health. The pilot, Ukrainian government, governments of Western countries and the vast majority of common Ukrainians insist on her innocence and demand to release her.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov 20 October, 20:01
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels