Savchenko case: no appeal to be filed on court’s decision, - Novikov
No justice and rightful court in Russia, says Ukrainian pilot
The defense team of Nadia Savchenko won’t appeal against the court’s judgement, whatever the verdict is, said Ilya Novikov, the pilot’s lawyer.
“I received clear instructions saying whatever the verdict is, the defense team will not file any appeals”, Novikov said after the court session in Donetsk (Rostov region, Russia). “Nadia herself insists on that. To her, the main reason is immorality of this court examination. She believes we shouldn’t do anything to create illusion of fair trial in Russia. There’s no such thing in Russia. Russian justice leaves her no chances. The court of the first instance was our last chance to change the verdict. As it will be announced, the court examination of the Savchenko case is over”, Ilya Novikov underlined.
The Donetsk city court, however, decided to continue on December 10 the hearing of Vira Savchenko, the defense witness in the case and sister of the Ukrainian pilot. At the previous court session, Vira Savchenko said she went to Luhansk twice in summer 2014 to negotiate on her sister’s exchange. According to her, during her second trip to Luhansk she was captured by pro-Russia militants. “I spent 24 hours in some basement. They took my cell phone from me and intimidated me”, she said. The prosecution asked the court to continue her hearings, saying there still were "many questions" to her.
Nadia Savchenko, MP and former officer of Ukraine’s Armed Forces, is charged with murder of two Russian TV reporters who worked in the conflict zone in eastern Ukraine in summer 2014. The prosecution said she allegedly adjusted fire during the attack of Ukrainian troops, which killed the reporters. Savchenko is also charged with the illegal crossing of Russian border. The pilot and her defense team deny all charges, saying she was captured by pro-Russian militants in Luhansk region in summer 2014. Savchenko says militants brought her to Russia by force.
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences 26 October, 17:15
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case