Savchenko case: defense witness to be questioned in court December 7
Her sister Vira’s hearing postponed, lawyer says
Russian court will question the defense witness in Nadia Savchenko’s case. Volodymyr Ruban, Ukrainian military expert and leader of the Centre for Prisoners’ Release negotiating on the exchange of prisoners, will be questioned on Monday, 112 Ukraine TV channel reported. The hearing of Nadia’s sister Vira Savchenko was postponed.
“Ruban is expected to explain details of the exchange of prisoners (between warring sides in eastern Ukraine). Vira will, most likely, be summoned to testify on Wednesday. Previously, the defense team said that the verdict in the case is already signed in the Kremlin. But it’s vital that we know what foreign diplomats – and they will be present at the hearing – think about this situation. It’s gone too far, and charges against the second of Savchenko sisters will be viewed as total discrediting of the court system in Russia, so the court won’t do this” , said Nadia Savchenko’s lawyer Ilya Novikov in the commentary to 112 Ukraine TV channel.
Nadia Savchenko, Ukraine’s MP and former officer of Ukraine’s Armed Forces, stays in pre-trail detention in Russia since summer 2014. The fighter pilot is charged with murder of two Russian TV reporters who at the time worked in the combat area in Donbas without official permission of the Ukrainian government. Prosecutors insist Savchenko allegedly adjusted fire during the attack of Ukrainian servicemen, which killed the reporters. Savchenko is also charged with illegal crossing of Russian border. The fighter pilot, her defense team and the Ukrainian government deny all charges and demand to release her.
It is expected that the verdict in Savchenko’s case will be pronounced by the end of the year.
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists 21 October, 16:40
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars