Samarkand hosts Karimov’s funeral
Uzbek government closes the airspace over the city for all civilian flights
The solemn funeral ceremony for Islam Karimov, long-time president of Uzbekistan, takes place in Samarkand city. Leaders of the state and a lot of foreign diplomats participated.
Thousands of locals approached the so-called ‘presidential roadway’ that Karimov used to drive to work everyday – to honour their leader’s memory.
Islam Karimov was the first President of independent Uzbekistan, in office from 1990 to 2016. He declared Uzbekistan an independent nation on 31 August 1991 and subsequently won its "presidential election in late 1991, with 86% of the vote. "
Uzbekistan under Karimov’s rule was classified as a hard authoritarian regime with little to no civil society promotion. The state's primary legitimacy claims are anti-Islamism and ethnic identity. Karimov's primary authoritarian measures that were implemented following the brief period of "thaw" and political tolerance include the thwarting of alternative political leaders from coalition building.
In August 2016 he was reported to be in intensive care, after suffering a stroke. News agencies reported that Karimov had died on 2 September, with the government officially confirming the news later that day.
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars