Saakashvili urged Poroshenko to bring National Guard units to Odesa
Odesa governor says there are “signs of state collapse”
Head of Odesa regional state administration Mikheil Saakashvili called on President Petro Poroshenko to bring units of the National Guard to the city so as to keep the public order. On May 2, the locals are to honor the memory of the victims of the tragedy that took place in the city two years ago.
Clashes between Euromaidan and pro-Russian protesters erupted in the southern Ukrainian port city of Odesa during January 2014, during the lead-up to the late February revolution. Many people in southern and eastern Ukraine opposed the revolution. Odessa, largely Russophone, witnessed contnued unrest throughout 2014. The worst incident occurred on May 2, when forty-six pro-Russian protesters were killed and over 200 people were injured during a confrontation with pro-Ukrainian unity protesters at the Trade Unions House in central Odesa.
According to Saakashvili’s message at Facebook, the city mayor Hennadiy Trukhanov and his city hall were behind the attack on peaceful protesters in Odesa. The incident took place on small hours of Tuesday. “It was covered by actions of the city hall; they shut down video cameras to cover things up. Security Service agents in Odesa are busy with conducting surveillance over those who are trying to implement reforms here, instead of doing their job. We are witnessing every possible sign of the state collapse”, the official posted. He also urged the President to find out how come Odesa mayor Trukhanov still possesses Russian citizenship.
Earlier today, after midnight, an unknown perpetrator used an RPG to fire at a bank in Odesa. At about 4.30 a.m., another group of thugs attacked Trukhanov’s opponents who gathered for an “anti-mayor” demonstration. In turn, the activists encircled and blocked the city hall.
City mayor Hennadiy Trukhanov commented on the events in Odeas, saying that Saakashvili was behind the night attacks on protesters. He added that the incident took place due to Saakashvili’s “failure to admit his own mistakes”.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars