Russia’s withdrawal from Syria won’t affect Ukraine-related sanctions, - Nuland
The U.S. Assistant Secretary of State delivered a speech at the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
“We continue to look at the Syria theatre and at the Ukraine theatre as two separate places. We will judge the Ukraine action based on what is done in Ukraine and as you know the sanctions are linked to Ukraine. So from our perspective what is done in Syria should not impact choices about Ukraine”, Nuland said as quoted by Sputnik news agency.
On March 15, Russia started withdrawing its troops from Syria. On Monday, Russian President Putin ordered to withdraw most of Russia’s armed units from Syria, with the Syrian government saying this step was officially agreed with them.
On February 22, the United States and the Russian Federation released a joint statement on the ceasefire in Syria, which started February 27. It doesn’t involve fighters of ISIS, Al Nusra Front and some other radical terrorist organizations. However, all sides of the Syrian conflict reported that the ceasefire failed; by estimates of Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, about 135 people lost their lives in the first week of what was supposed to be the ceasefire.
Russian Air Force started landing air strikes in Syria in September 2015. The wing of Russian warplanes sent to Syria upon the request of President Bashaar al Assad, included more than 50 fighters, bombers and helicopters. Russia has been repeatedly charged with the struggle against Syrian opposition; vast majority of the air strikes hit their emplacements, instead of destroying ISIS positions.
Ukraine banned all Russian payment systems in Ukraine 18 October, 14:35
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
EU is ready to discuss introducing new sanctions against Russia 13 October, 10:27
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars