Russian special services persecute journalists in Crimea
Local media ran by the pro-Russian government of Crimea rat on their independent colleagues
“The government put a tail on independent reporters in Crimea. Russian special services block the independent journalists from taking photos and video records during public events. There’s common practice among pro-government media in Crimea to rat on such people”, said Olena Yurchenko, editor of Krym.Realii project. She said this at UNESCO conference in Helsinki, timed to the World Press Freedom Day (Radio Liberty).
She added that Russia’s Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technologies and Mass Media blocks the access to websites of the free media. “Crimea’s Prosecutor’s Office promotes this in every possible way”, Yurchenko said.
Previously, Mykola Semena, Ukrainian reporter who has been cooperating with Radio Liberty, faced five years of imprisonment for his articles, where he puts Crimea as a part of Ukraine’s territory. Russian security services confiscated the reporter’s recording equipment and certain records.
He’s been charged with infringement on Russia’s territorial integrity and he might face five years in prison if they are able to prove that. The pro-Russian government of Crimea says he wrote a number of articles where he named Crimea a Ukrainian peninsula.
Last month, so-called Prosecutor of Crimea Natalya Poklonskaya reported that her office opened a criminal investigation against a reporter working for Krym.Realii for his article where he ‘urged to violate Russia’s territorial integrity’. She never specified the reporter’s name.
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
Panov and Zahtey in Lefortovo 14 October, 12:49
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
PACE adopts two resolutions on Ukraine 13 October, 08:35
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars