Russia violated 403 international agreements by annexing Crimea
The occupation of the peninsula by Russia is an international crime, Ukrainian lawyer says
Having annexed Crimea, the Russian Federation breached 403 international agreements. Olexandr Zadorozhny, lawyer, professor of the Kyiv State University of Taras Shvevchenko said this January 21.
According to him, Russia also violated a number of bilateral agreements with Ukraine that have been signed since Ukraine gained independence in 1991. That, Zadorozhny noted, creates legal grounds for returning Crimea to Ukraine.
“An international tribunal on Crimea should be established. It would bring to responsibility Russia and its leading officials. The court will determine further ways of regulation of the issue|, the lawyer said.
Emine Jeppar, Counselor to Ukraine’s Information Policy Minister added that the annexation of Crimea should be treated solely as an international crime.
“The so-called referendum in Crimea was not recognized by most of the world’s countries. The annexation of Crimea and war in eastern Ukraine are closely related. Russia instead tries to separate these features and persuade the rest of the world that there is greater evil than the illegal occupation of Crimea, such as war in Syria or the ISIS activities, which is allegedly impossible to counter without Russia’s interference. Thus, Russia tries to distract the international community from the crime it already committed; the crime of illegal annexation of a part of Ukraine’s territory and the crimes done against Ukrainian in Crimea”, she said.
As is known, in March 2014, Russia annexed Crimea after the so-called referendum on the peninsula, which was conducted under the gun barrels of Russian soldiers. The results of the referendum were not recognized by the vast majority of the civilized world.
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
Panov and Zahtey in Lefortovo 14 October, 12:49
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case