Russia, China start maritime drills ‘Joint Sea 2016’
The exercise to take place amid territorial quarrels between China and its neighbors, - DW
The Russian-Chinese naval drills called Joint Sea 2016 kicked off in the South China Sea on Monday, September 12.
‘The active phase of the drills will be taking place from September 15 through September 19. The exercise will involve battleships, submarines and naval aviation. The sides will work on joint actions such as defense of the ships staying on the anchor hold; search, rescue and convoy of vessels; release of the captured vessel; recognition of air targets by the common anti-aircraft defense system,’ DW reported.
The sides will also land joint missile strikes on naval targets and then land airborne troops on a figuratively captured island. Several battleships of Russia’s Pacific fleet are expected to join the exercise.
The maneuvers will be taking place near China’s eastern province of Guangdong, amid China’s territorial arguments with Japan, Vietnam and Philippines.
Most recently, Russia conducted another military exercise near Ukraine’s border and in the occupied Crimea. The Ukrainian government treated this action as an increase of military threat coming from Russia.
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain