RFE/RL: The Daily Vertical: The Spirit Of 1991
RFE/RL published a video of the Daily Vertical about the autocratic regime in the Kremlin
Twenty-five years ago this summer, Russia held its first -- and arguably last -- free and fair presidential election.
Twenty-five years ago today, a hard-line coup in Moscow sought to reverse that democratic progress.
And twenty-five years ago this weekend, Russian citizens faced down that coup, scoring what appeared at the time to be a stunning and historic victory over tyranny.
Today, it's painfully clear that this victory was illusory and temporary.
With Vladimir Putin's autocratic regime in the Kremlin, it is now clear that the ideals of the coup plotters actually won in the end -- at least in Russia, where this weekend's anniversary will be pointedly ignored by the authorities.
But here's the thing: August 1991 wasn't just about Russia.
It was also about fourteen other newly independent states getting the opportunity to decide their own futures free from Moscow's diktat.
It was about the Baltic states being able to take their rightful place as prosperous, democratic, European countries -- which they quickly seized.
It was about Ukraine, Georgia, and Moldova having the opportunity to follow in that path as well.
For these countries, the spirit of 1991 is still very meaningful and still very much alive a quarter century later.
The Putin regime has successfully -- at least for now -- crushed the ideals of August 1991 in Russia.
But despite invasions, proxy wars, active measures, intimidation, and bullying, it has been unable to crush it in all of Russia's neighbors.
Read the full article here.
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain