Pyatt welcomed release of Ukrainian journalist from captivity in Donbas
The U.S. Ambassador urged pro-Kremlin militants to release all hostages, according to Minsk deal
“I welcome the news about the release of reporter Maria Varfolomeeva, after 419 days she spent in captivity by the so-called authorities of Luhansk. We continue to urge Russia to order separatists, which it supports and assists, to release all hostages like it is foreseen by Minsk deal”, the ambassador tweeted.
Previously on March 3, President Petro Poroshenko said that Maria Varfolomeeva, a journalist and volunteer from Luhansk was released from captivity. Since January 2015 till March this year, she was held as a hostage by mercenaries from “Luhansk People’s Republic”, accused of allegedly adjusting fire for Ukrainian troops and cooperating with the Right Sector, the far-right Ukrainian nationalist movement.
The release of all prisoners is one of conditions of the Minsk deal.
Ukraine’s Presidential Envoy on Peaceful Settlement of Donbas conflict Iryna Gherashchenko reported on March 3 that 129 Ukrainian hostages currently stay in captivity of pro-Russia militants.
“We managed to release Maria Varfolomeeva on the day of the important meeting of foreign ministers of the Normandy Four. Today in Paris, Minister of foreign affairs of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin will insist that the issue of release of hostages would be one of the priorities for the sides, just like security issues”, she wrote at Facebook.
As 112 International reported, foreign ministers of the Normandy four are expected to discuss situation in Donbas at the meeting slated for late hours of March 3 in Paris.
The West and the Ukrainian government accuse Russia of supporting pro-Kremlin militants in Donbas and unwillingness to comply with Minsk agreements. Moscow denies these accusations, saying it has nothing to do with the documents, because it was never involved in the conflict, so it has no intentions to comply with the Minsk deal.
29 attacks in Donbas region during previous 24 hours, - ATO HQ 18 October, 09:31
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
Donbas conflict: 18 attacks reported 17 October, 23:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars