Putin: Handing over Donbas to Ukraine back in USSR was nonsense
Russian President claims that Donbas was given to Ukraine for the sake of social support
Russian President Vladimir Putin called inclusion of Donbas into Ukraine sheer nonsense. He claimed this on a plenary meeting of inter-regional forum of the Russian Social Movement “All-Russian People’s Front”, informs press center of Kremlin.
“He, Lenin, believed that the USSR was based on – he said it, I may be wrong, but the general idea is clear – the right of every republic to leave the USSR. This is exactly what undermines our statehood”, - Putin stated.
“Not only were different nationalities bordered within one state, but these borders were established randomly and not always reasonably. Under which pretext, for instance, did Ukraine receive Donbas? In order to raise the percentage of proletariat and to have huge social support. This is clearly nonsense, you understand? And there are many other such-like examples”, - he added.
Secretary of the Council of National Security and Defense of Ukraine Oleksandr Turchynov commented on Putin’s latest statement about the inclusion of Donbas into Ukraine’s territory back in the USSR.
Turchynov said: “First of all, no one asked his opinion when Ukrainian borders were established. Second of all, such statements are the basis for military aggression against our country. He is a leader of the country, who doubts all European borders, which were formed after WWII”, - stated Turchynov.
Russia-backed militants strike again in Mariupol region 13 October, 11:31
Donbas conflict: 18 attacks reported 17 October, 23:58
43 ceasefire violations in Donbas reported 16 October, 12:06
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- RUSSIA16:30Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia
- UA & EU15:42Poroshenko, Hungary PM are to enhance political dialogue between states
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels