Protest in Kyiv: activists demand to fire Prosecutor General
People say Ukraine needs an independent figure for this post
A protest action in Kyiv takes place near the Presidential Administration; activists demand to fire Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin and to assign his successor, says reporter of 112 Ukraine TV channel.
Similar actions are slated for Monday noon in some other cities of Ukraine.
One of the activists in Kyiv, MP Dmytro Dobrodomov commented on the situation, saying that the public society demands that the authorities hold a transparent contest to select candidates for key posts in the Prosecutor General’s Office. “We need this issue to be voted in the Parliament, because if MPs fail to pass the decision, we’re going to need to elect a new Parliament. But what’s next? We also demand a transparent contest in the Prosecutor General’s Office. I am co-author of the draft bill that offers to create assessment commissions, which would transparently conduct the reform, where Shokin failed completely”, Dobrodomov said.
Ukraine’s Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin has been in office since February 2015. Since then, his actions have been highly criticized for suspected involvement in corrupt practices and stalling of investigations related to crimes against Euromaidan protesters.
Kyiv not to congratulate Putin on his birthday, - Peskov 7 October, 20:15
IMF mission to arrive in Ukraine on October 26 17 October, 19:03
In Kyiv March of heroes' glory is over 14 October, 18:33
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars