Poroshenko urged UN to assign rapporteur on rights of Ukrainians detained in Russia
The Ukrainian President had a meeting with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
The Head of the Ukrainian state urged the UN’s leading figure to assign the rapporteur on investigation of tortures of Ukrainians forcefully held in Russia. President’s press service reported this on Friday.
Poroshenko and ban Ki-moon discussed humanitarian situation in eastern Ukraine. The President supported the new plan of UN humanitarian reaction in Ukraine in 2016. It foresees rendering humanitarian assistance to citizens of Ukraine, the ones who suffered the most during the Russian aggression against this country.
The negotiators paid special attention to human rights protection at temporarily occupied Ukrainian territories, and protection of rights of Ukrainians detained in Russia, including Nadiya Savchenko and other political prisoners.
“Savchenko should be released; it is one of conditions of Minsk agreements which should be implemented to the full extent”, Ban Ki-moon said.
The UN Secretary General highly appreciated Ukraine’s active stance as non-permanent member of UN Security Council.
As 112 International reported, President Petro Poroshenko is on working visit to the USA. The Ukrainian leader met U.S. top officials - President Barack Obama and Vice President Joseph Biden, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and Dutch Premier Mark Rutte. During the visit, Poroshenko participated in the Nuclear Security Summit in Washington, D.C., where he came on the invitation of the U.S. leader.
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:16Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain