Poroshenko: The number of supporters of a unified local church is growing
Ukraine is waiting for the help of the Ecumenical Patriarch - Petro Poroshenko
The President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko expects help from the Ecumenical Patriarch of the Constantinople Bartholomew in the reconciliation of the canonical status of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the world structure
The President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko during the events dedicated to the Day Christianization of Kievan Rus made a speach on Volodymyska Hirka.
Today Ukraine is celebrating the Day of Christianization of Kievan Rus.
"First bishops and priests camt here from Constantinople. From Constantinople the faith in Christ came to Kyiv, to the banks of the Dnieper, and from here spread to other East Slavic lands and neighboring nations. The Church of Constantinople was and remains the Mother Church for us, to which we, her offsprings, addressed and will keep addressing for help, including for the help in overcoming the division, which now hurts the Orthodox Ukrainians, "- Poroshenko said.
"As a Ukrainian president, I had an opportunity to meet with the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, and firmly reassured myself that his Holiness prays for Ukraine, and thinks about how to help us solve our problems, "- said Poroshenko.
Poroshenko also notes that a growing number of Orthodox Citizens of Ukraine want to have a single local autocephalous church, eucharistically and prayfully united, but administratively independent from other ecclesiastical jurisdictions.
Recall that celebraions go on in Kyiv due to the celebration of the Day of Christianization of Kievan Rus today. Religious procession starts from Vladimir's Cathedral and ends with prayer service at St. Vladimir's Hill.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away 24 October, 19:37
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas