Poroshenko: celebration of Crimea’s annexation is festival of cynicism and falsehood
The Ukrainian President commented on Putin’s visit to Crimea and ongoing celebration of the second anniversary of the peninsula’s occupation
“It’s the second anniversary of Russian annexation of Crimea. The festival of cynicism and falsehood that started on this occasion on the Russian TV and in Crimea itself is a bright example of Russia’s deliberate disregard of international norms, and its unwillingness to return to normal, civilized behavior within international relations”, Poroshenko said at a briefing broadcasted by 112 Ukraine TV channel.
As 112 International reported, Russian leader Vladimir Putin came to Crimea on Friday to mark the second anniversary of the peninsula. Concerts and festivals are taking place on this occasion in Crimea.
The Foreign Ministry decisively protested against Putin’s visit to Crimea that was not cleared through with the Ukrainian government. “The attempt to celebrate the anniversary of Russian aggression against Ukraine and obnoxious capture of Crimea looks cynical, given the economic, social and humanitarian problems on the peninsula. For two years, Russian occupants managed to bring back Stalin-like authoritarianism, lawlessness and repressions to Crimea. The aggressor state continues to violate human rights and oppress the dissidents. There’s no freedom of speech, media freedom or freedom of belief. Rights of Ukrainians and Crimean Tatars are regularly violated”, said the Foreign Ministry’s statement.
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case