Pentagon chief expresses need for nuclear weapons to deter Russia’s threat
Carter has accused Russia and North Korea of nuclear and missile provocations
The head of the US Department of Defense Ashton Carter said that despite the fact that the Cold War is long over, nuclear weapons are still needed to deter Russian and other potential aggressors as they can escape from the punishment in the case of a nuclear attack. It is reported by ABC News.
Carter also accused Russia and North Korea of the nuclear and missile provocations.
"Today, the most likely use of nuclear weapons is not a massive nuclear exchange in the style of a classic Cold War, but rather the irrational appeal to the smaller, but still unprecedentedly terrible attacks, for example, from Russia and North Korea", said Carter.
Also, US Defense Secretary said that "the US position on the aggression against Ukraine is unwavering. The annexation of the Crimea will never be recognized, and a hybrid war against Ukraine in the Donbas region will end with a humiliating defeat for Russia".
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 25 October, 09:43
Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe 25 October, 08:16
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas