“I regret Ms Savchenko’s trial being adjourned and call for end of the process against her and her release”, reads the message of PACE President Pedro Agramunt at his Twitter page (Radio Liberty).
Previously, on March 4, Savchenko’s defense team visited her in pre-trail detention facility and published her letter where the pilot said she didn’t change her mind about another waterless hunger strike, which she announced on March 3; thus, she started fasting on March 4, demanding to let her go to Ukraine “dead or alive”.
Savchenko claimed she would resist feeding or making any tests, adding that she would only allow Ukrainian doctors to examine her. She also said that any resort to physical force will be considered as torture, which she would resist.
As 112 International reported, the Donetsk city court in Rostov region, Russia, announced a break in the hearing of Savchenko’s case until March 9. Thus, the court deprived her of the right to deliver her final speech. The text of her speech was later uploaded at Facebook. Savchenko, in particular, stated that she’s going for another hunger strike if Russia doesn’t let her go. Under her current health conditions, a waterless hunger strike poses direct life risk.
In mid-December 2015, Russian court ruled that the pilot stays in detention until April 2016.
Nadia Savchenko, MP and former Ukraine’s Air Force officer, was captured by pro-Russian militants in eastern Ukraine in summer 2014. She says they captured her, forcefully brought her to Russia and passed her to Russian investigative authorities. Savchenko is charged with murder of two Russian reporters who worked in eastern Ukraine without any permission of the Ukrainian government. She is also charged with the illegal crossing of the Russian border. The pilot, her defense team and the Ukrainian government deny all charges, demanding to release her.