PACE delegate reported on Ukrainians illegally imprisoned in Russia
The document was presented by Latvian delegate Nellija Kleinberga
The Latvian official presented her report during the Thursday PACE debates dedicated to status of Ukrainian citizens detained or imprisoned by either pro-Russian militants in Donbas, pro-Kremlin officials in occupied Crimea or law enforcers in Russia.
“Since the annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation and the beginning of military operations in the Luhansk and Donetsk regions in eastern Ukraine, hundreds of Ukrainian servicemen and civilians have reportedly been captured or abducted. Some of them have since been released, but many of those who are still being held captive are allegedly being held in inhumane conditions and are allegedly subject to torture, humiliation, forced labour and other forms of violence”, reads the document.
Kleinberga’s report assesses the implementation of one of the cornerstones of the Minsk Agreement on the exchange of prisoners and release of hostages and persons illegally detained in the context of the war in Ukraine. It contains recommendations addressed to all sides of the conflict to speed up this process in compliance with their international commitments. It also calls on the Russian Federation to release all Ukrainian prisoners who have been captured and imprisoned in the Russian Federation and in annexed Crimea on politically motivated charges.
“The report pays special attention to the needs of released persons and their families. It encourages the Ukrainian authorities to settle the issue of medical, legal, financial and social assistance to released persons. For those people who are still in captivity, the State should provide financial support to their families”, reads the doсument.
Nellija Kleinberga also offered to impose sanctions on those involved in arrests of Ukrainians in Russia. The list includes those who kidnapped, illegally detained and judged Nadiya Savchenko.
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Donbas conflict: 18 attacks reported 17 October, 23:58
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
29 attacks in Donbas region during previous 24 hours, - ATO HQ 18 October, 09:31
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars