Novikov: Savchenko might be exchanged on Yerofeev and Alexandrov
The lawyer says the exchange could take place no sooner than May 18
Ilya Novikov gave an interview to Russian TV channel Dozhd' (Rain), where he spoke about the details of his most recent meeting with President Petro Poroshenko and Savchenko’s family, as well as the latest news from Savchenko’s defense team.
According to him, the Ukrainian fighter pilot could be exchanged on Russian servicemen Yevgeniy Yerofeev and Alexandr Alexandrov, but that couldn’t happen until at least May 18. As is known, Yerofeev and Alexandrov were wounded and captured during a firefight with Ukrainian troopers near Schastya town, Luhansk region, in May 2015. They were brought to Kyiv and charged with illegal crossing of the Ukrainian border and membership in illegal armed units of the so-called Luhansk People’s Republic. Both confirmed they served with Russia’s Main Department of Intelligence, the GRU. Both Ukrainian and Russian governments are considering the option of their exchange on Savchenko.
Speaking about his meeting with Poroshenko and Nadiya Savchenko’s family, Novikov said that the President explained his plan, which basically foresees that Savchenko will be exchanged on Yerofeev and Alexandrov. “However, the exchange cannot take place until May 18; that marks 30 days since the verdict in their case was announced. That is, one can expect the exchange on that day or right after that, as soon as the necessary documents are signed”, the lawyer stressed, specifying that Poroshenko outtalked Savchenko to cease starving until May 18.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case