Novikov: Savchenko might be exchanged in late May or early June
If Russian authorities don’t let her go by that time, the defense team has a “plan B”, lawyer says
“There’s a chance the exchange will take place in late May – early June. I’m optimistic about this and I believe it will happen so. But if it doesn’t, we’ve got plan B; however, it’s too early to talk about it”, Ilya Novikov said during public debates in Saint Petersburg.
Previously, after the sentence in Nadiya Savchenko’s case was pronounced, President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko stated that Kyiv is ready to exchange her for two servicemen of Russia’s GRU (military intelligence). Yevgeniy Yerofeev and Alexandr Alexandrov, who sided with pro-Kremlin militants in Donbas, were detained while on a combat mission near Schastya, Luhansk region. They were charged with several crimes against Ukrainian state and its people.
According to Ilya Novikov, Yerofeev and Alexandrov are the main candidates for the exchange; nonetheless, it’s not the only option.
As Savchenko’s defense team reported earlier, she cannot be exchanged before May 18; that’s the day when the sentence in Yerofeev and Alexandrov’s case takes effect.
Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer 27 October, 14:30
Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest 27 October, 13:30
Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas 27 October, 16:03
- UA & EU20:04Schulz: European Parliament is on Ukraine’s side
- SOCIETY19:14Halloween is coming in Ukraine
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:1835000 militants and 6000 Russia's officers in Donbas reported
- UA & EU16:31Poroshenko, Junker to discuss EU-Ukraine AA ratification by the Netherlands
- UA & EU15:46Netherlands may delay consultations on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:30Ukrainian Defense Ministry reveals details of Makiivka night attack
- FINANCE14:13French company to store gas in Ukraine’s underground storages
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case