Ukraine’s Foreign Office currently has no data on possible casualties among Ukrainians that could take place due to the explosion in Istanbul. Head of Department of Consulate Service Yevhen Ihnatovsky said this to UNN news agency. “There’s no such information so far; the Consulate General of Ukraine in Turkey now works on the matter”, he said. In his words, the blast took place only recently, which is why the respective data might be available later.
The tragedy occurred in the downtown Tuskish capital, Sultanakhmet district, in the morning of January 12.
The Istanbul governor's office said the authorities were investigating the type of explosive used and who might have been responsible. It said at least ten people were killed and 15 wounded but gave no further details. The attack at the heart of one of the world's most visited cities comes as Turkey battles Kurdish militants in its southeast and Islamic State insurgents just across its southern borders in Syria and Iraq. Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu held an emergency meeting in Ankara with the interior minister and security chiefs. A senior official said "terrorist links" were suspected in the attack, but declined to comment further, Reuters reported.